22 Jun Can Hardwood Floor Withstand Dry Reno Climate?
In short, yes. All regions have unique requirements for happy wood floors, and Reno is no different. Below are some things to consider when installing hardwood in the Reno area.
Not all wood species enjoy a dry environment. This is much more prevalent when dealing with engineered wood floors, but some species don’t perform as well as others. That being said, any solid wood floor can be installed successfully with proper acclimation.
Engineered Versus Solid
As great as they are, some engineered floors just don’t handle the dry environment well. The failures are caused from many different issues. Some engineered floors fail due to the species or the way the product is constructed. Distress in the form of de-lamination, surface checking, and splitting are quite common. We can help steer you in the right direction for your home.
Hardwood Floor Maintenance
Wood floor maintenance is the same no matter where you live. As long as you take care of your wood floors, they will last you for years to come. Below are a few things to keep in mind when caring for your wood floors.
Hardwood Floor Care Tips
- Sweep weekly and use a damp cloth on dirt spots as needed.
- If you use a vacuum to sweep, turn off the rotating brush.
- Keep wet and dirty shoes off the hardwood.
- Switch to slippers or socks indoors.
- Add protective pads to the feet of all furniture in rooms with hardwood flooring.
- Pick up furniture when moving it
- Use a humidifier when running a forced-air furnace to maintain adequate moisture.
Hardwood Floor Care: What Not to Do
- Don’t use mats with rubber backing because they will trap moisture against the wood.
- Don’t use wax on wood as it collects dirt and debris.
- Don’t use a steam mop because the hardwood will absorb the excess moisture.
Reno Hardwood Flooring Services
Truckee Meadows Hardwood Flooring and our team has developed a vast knowledge of the different types of wood that are available and know which species and types do best in the Reno area. We can assist you in the selection process by showing you a variety of different options so you can find the one you love.
Please reach out if you have any questions about our company or flooring installation services. For the best in hardwood floor, visit our showroom on Cheney St. or contact us today for a quote. We look forward to working with you!